The Bloomington Thunder's 2017 Main Camp is part of the process of setting the roster for the 2017-18 season, which will be the organization's fourth as a member of the USHL. More than 200 players will participate at the camp, including returning players, affiliate list players, the Thunder's draft picks and free agents.
WEST DUNDEE, Ill. – The Thunder's 2017 Main Camp moves into the third day, as the action continues to heat up heading toward the All-Star and Young Star games slated for the evening session.
Each of the ten teams will play in one game in the first session starting at 8 a.m. Following a break, there will be the Young Star game at 5 p.m. and then the All-Star game at 7:30 p.m.
With nonstop action throughout the day, each of the 10 teams played one full game and one mini game.
Team Green, Team White and Team Light Blue all won both of their games.
Green put together one of the most dominating performances of the day, winning its two games by a combined 8-1 margin. Returning Thunder forward Will Garin paced all scorers throughout the day with four points (2 G, 2 A) after a scoreless first day of camp.
Day 3 Notes
- Returning Thunder forward Will Garin continued his scoring binge with a first period goal for Team Green in game one against Team Light Blue. Garin has three goals and five points over his last three games, one of which was a mini game.
- The pace and physicality went up a notch in game one between Team Light Blue and Team Green with competition heating up for a spot on the All-Star game roster. The contest was the combined highest penalty total of the weekend with 10 total penalties between the sides.
- Mackenzie Harden (Drayton Valley Thunder, AJHL) continued a strong camp, posting a goal for Team Blue in game one for his fourth point of the weekend.
- In game two, Team Purple's Brady Meyer potted a pair of goals, his first two of the weekend, in a 2-0 win over Team Gold. A fifth round Phase II pick, Meyer had an impressive 54-point sophomore season for North Branch High School (MN) in 2016-17.
- Brandon Bussi (Amarillo Bulls, NAHL) and Aidan McCarthy (Little Caesers U16) combined for the shutout in goal for Team Purple. It was the full game shutout of Main Camp. There were two mini game shutouts on Friday.
- Game three saw the first hat trick of Main Camp as Brett Edwards registered three goals in Team Grey's 8-5 slugfest win over Team Red.
- Eight different players had multiple points in the Team Grey-Team Red matchup, including three players with three points apiece.
- Returning Thunder forward and Colgate commit Griffin Lunn tallied two goals and an assist and Alex Frye posted a goal and two assists to pace Team Red offensively.
- Team Grey's Trevor Spence (Noble & Greenough) put up a pair of goals to give him three for the weekend. His goal total is tied with Will Garin (Green), Buster Larsson (White) and Edwards (Grey) for the Main Camp lead.
- Cameron Burke (University of Notre Dame) registered his first point of the weekend with a first period power-play goal for All-Star Team White.
- Garrett Worth (Duluth East High School) has a goal and an assist through two periods, his second multi-point game of the day. His five points are the most for a single day during camp.